How to Clean White Cloth Shoes
White cloth shoes are a great choice for people at different ages. They are not only comfortable but also bring a bright look to you. However, a big downside of these shoes is the ease to get dirt. The reason is that cloth shoes are made from cotton, which absorbs easily stains and dirt. Luckily, there are several effective DIY methods to help you deal with tough stains on white cloth shoes. Keep on reading and discover how to clean white cloth shoes in the proper ways.
Hand washing is a safe way to clean your cloth white shoes without making any damage to them. Try how to clean white cloth shoes with our suggestions below.
- Step 1: Before applying any cleaning solution on your cloth shoes, you had better let dirt and mud dry. This step is also called pre-cleaning. Use your hands to break off different pieces of dry mud. Then, take advantage of an old toothbrush to remove bigger pieces of dirt.
- Step 2: Remove your shoelaces. Create a mixture of water and detergent in a bowl. Soak the shoelaces into the bowl to get rid of dirt and stains. In case your shoelaces are too old, replace them by the new ones. You can purchase them easily in many available stores and shoe shops.
- Step 3: Talking about the way to clean your soles, you should mix the appropriate amount of baking soda and water together. Then, dip the toothbrush into the liquid and rub gently the affected areas.
- Step 4: You need creating a great detergent solution by pouring a small amount of laundry detergent into cold water. Shake equally the mixture until it dissolves.
- Step 5: Use a toothbrush dipping with this solution to clean completely your shoes. Move the toothbrush toward circle movements from the outside to the inside of the shoes. For saving your effort, you could use an electric toothbrush instead of the traditional toothbrush.
- Step 6: Rinse thoroughly your shoes with cold water to eliminate excessive soap. Be careful to do this task to eliminate all dried residue of soap on the shoe’s surface. Continue with the other shoe. You had better not to let the water absorb the inside of your cloth shoes.
- Step 7: One of the best ways to make your cloth shoes dry is placing them under sunlight or in an airy area. You had better stuff paper towel or old rag in the shoes to remain their shape. Wait until your shoes are completely dry for the next uses.
- Step 8: The final step is rubbing the shoelaces and use clean water to rinse them thoroughly. Ensure that your shoes and lace shoes are clean and dry before placing them in the right position. Now, your shoes look like the brand new.
Take Advantage of The Washing Machine
Although it is not recommended for you to clean your cloth shoes by the washing machine, this way is still acceptable for saving time and effort. Learn how to clean white cloth shoes with our guides below.
- Step 1: Similar to hand washing, you should do pre-cleaning methods before throwing your shoes into the washing machine. Before applying any cleaning solution on your cloth shoes, let dirt and mud dry. Use your hands to break off different pieces of dry mud. Then, take advantage of an old toothbrush to remove bigger pieces of dirt.
- Step 2: Talking about the way to clean your soles, you should mix the appropriate amount of baking soda and water together. Then, dip the toothbrush into the liquid and rub gently the affected areas.
- Step 3: Put your cloth shoes in two pillowcases to protect them from damaging in the machine and noise. It is time for you to operate the washing machine. Choose a gentle setting and use cold water during the whole cleaning process. Moreover, add a small amount of detergent into the machine once the water reaches halfway level.
- Step 4: If the water reaches three-quarters part of the machine, it means the machine is working properly. Take the shoes out and place them under sunlight. You should not use a dryer to do this task because it may change the shape of your shoes. Now, you could enjoy the white shoes as its original look.
Tips and Warnings
Keep in mind some important things below to clean your white cloth shoes without putting any bad impact on them. When your cloth shoes are dry, you had better stuff newspaper inside them to keep their shape.
To deal with stubborn stains such as oils or grasses, you should make use of laundry pre-treatment product before starting to clean your shoes. Read carefully the instructions of the manufacturer to get the best result. In case your shoes are getting serious dirt and stains, soak them in the removers from 5 to 10 minutes.
There are several effective ways to help you remove completely stains and scuff marks. The first popular recommendation is using a magic eraser to elimination these stains. It is extremely helpful for getting rid of mud and grass stains. Remember to follow the correct instruction from the manufacturers before trying any method. You had better use rubbing alcohol to remove ink stains. Try a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to scrub more serious scuff marks. Lemon juice is another efficient way to make your white shoes brighter.
In addition, avoid using bleach on your shoes because it may discolor them. If you apply this detergent on your white shoes, it will make them turn into yellow. The dryer is another thing to avoid because it can lose the shoe base and change the shoe’s structure.
There are numerous ways to help you know how to clean white cloth shoes. Your responsibility is determining the best ways to match your type of shoes most. Hand washing is the better method to clean your shoes and remain their design than using the washing machine.