How to Clean Dirty Shoes
Most of the people only clean the shoes they often wear and ignore the remaining ones, simply because they feel bored when just sitting in one place and do this task or they have no idea of cleaning different kinds of shoes. But, what will you do if you need to wear another pair of shoes for a special occasion and they are dirty? So, don’t hesitate to spend your free time on cleaning and keeping them look new all the time.
Below are a series of directions that help you know how to clean dirty shoes in less time. Whether you’ve got canvas shoes, leather shoes, or boosts, you will receive each particular way for different types of shoes.
Useful Ways to Clean all Kinds of Shoes in Your Closet
Let’s check how many types of shoes you have. Then divide each pair in a certain group and take a look at which method is suitable for them.
For leather shoes
- Firstly, remove dirt from the leather shoes with an old toothbrush or a firm bristled brush. Make sure you do gently without scrubbing too hard or the surface of the shoes can be damaged.
- Then use a clean and dry rag to wipe away any grime, oil, or grease on the shoes’ surface before applying another damp rag with warm water to clean again.
- Next, let the shoes dry in a place away from heat, direct sunlight, or air vents. After 30 minutes, apply a cream leather polish with a gentle rag and permit it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, wipe again with the clean cloth and buff to make the leather shoes shine.
For canvas shoes
- As above, you need to remove grime or dirt from the canvas shoes with the old toothbrush.
- Then start making a baking soda paste via mixing equal parts of water and baking soda. Soak the toothbrush in the paste and clean dirty areas. After that, cleanse the shoes with a wet cloth.
- For the tough stains, you should use a stain remover. Remember to test it on an unnoticeable part to ensure this product isn’t going to bleach your shoes.
- Wash them in a washing machine on the delicate cycle with a mild amount of laundry detergent and the cold water.
- Finally, dry them in places without getting direct sunlight, heat, or air vents.
For white sneakers
- One of the most prerequisite things to make the white sneakers clean always is to wipe them down with a damp rag every few days.
- In case they are dirty or get any stains, take a cotton ball with a bit of vinegar or nail polish and rub to remove the stains. Or rub white toothpaste on the shoes and then use the clean and dry rag to clean.
- If you want to bleach the white sneakers, remember to dilute the bleach before wiping the shoes to avoid discoloring them. Take the old toothbrush and scrub on the shoes’ surfaces. Don’t forget to test on a small area to be sure of success.
- Finally, rinse them with warm water and air dry.
For suede shoes
- To treat the suede shoes, you need to have a gentle brush made particularly for suede and nubuck to get rid of dirt. Scrub gently and brush in the same direction to avoid ruining and making your shoes appear to be two different colors.
- Then take a rubber eraser to remove unsightly smudges and smears. Remember to do gently.
- After that, use a silicone spray to prevent new smudges or water damage on the suede shoes. Just do it when removing dirt is done, got it?
For sheepskin boots
- Take a nailbrush and gently wipe off the outside of the boots first.
- Then use a white eraser to scrub stubborn stains away. For spot cleaning, you need to make a solution of equal parts of distilled vinegar and cold water.
- Next, damp a cloth and wipe the exterior surface, not using a wet cloth because the water might damage the material.
- Finally, stuff your sheepskin boots with newspaper to keep their shape while drying.
For vinyl shoes
- First of all, let’s remove debris and dirt from the surface and sole of your vinyl shoes by availing the soft shoe brush or old toothbrush.
- To treat light scuffs or smudges, you should use a pencil eraser. Gently remove these stains without applying too much pressure.
- Dampen a clean and soft hand towel with warm water. Or you also add a drop of mild laundry detergent to the towel. Then wash the surfaces of the vinyl shoes gently.
- After completing, let them air dry about 30 minutes before wearing. Make sure you place these shoes in a safe position away from heat, air vents, and direct sunlight.
For cork wedges
- You need to make a cleaning solution by blending ½ cup of white vinegar, some drops of dish detergent, and 1 gallon of lukewarm water.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and then dip a clean cloth in the solution to wipe the whole cork shoes.
- Keep in mind to perform little circles to get rid of stains and dirt on the cork effectively.
- Finally, wipe them with another clean cloth.
For running shoes
- For openers, please remove dirt with the old toothbrush.
- Then prepare a mixture of a cup of water and a teaspoon of laundry detergent.
- Next, dip the toothbrush in the mixture and start rubbing on the rubber areas, fabric, and mesh. Remember to untie the laces earlier.
- Use the mixture to clean the laces and dry them separately.
- Finally, take a wet sponge to wipe the suds on the shoes off and let themtotally air dry before wearing.
From now on, you will never worry about how to clean dirty shoes because you know how to deal with different types of shoes, right? Make sure you do this job at least once a month to prolong the life of your beloved shoes as well as having clean pairs of shoes for any occasion. And in case you have any question, just leave your thoughts below. We’re always ready to help you.