Top 5 Simple Ways On How to Clean Cloth Shoes At Home
Nowadays, cloth shoes have become a popular choice for teenagers because they can combine easily with their own costume and make them youthful and dynamic with the street style. Not just those, the softness and gentleness of these shoes also bring the comfort to their feet.
However, when exposed to rain or during use, cloth shoes get dirty, stained, or discolored easily. For most types of these shoes, they are made of the fabric with natural textile fibers, which makes them non-waterproof and have poor colorfastness. Therefore, it is difficult to clean them.
You are afraid to wash your cloth shoes because it takes a long time to wait for them to dry. More importantly, you do not know any ways to make them clean. For this reason, no matter how much you like them, sometimes you have to put it away or even throw it away.
Understanding your difficulty as well as your desire, we will guide you simple ways on how to clean cloth shoes easily and quickly with the materials available at home. Before doing the following methods, you should put the old newspaper in your shoes so that it can absorb all of the liquid or detergent you will use.
Thanks to the ingredient of natural acids, lemon is considered as one of the best materials which can remove stains and brighten your cloth shoes effectively. Here are two methods you can follow to renew your cloth shoes:
- Mix lemon juice with water in a ratio of 1:4 in a bowl and soak a sponge in it.
- After about 15 minutes, take the sponge out and wipe away the stains on your shoes until they disappear.
- Rinse your shoes with clean water and then dry them.
- Take a half of the lemon to rub it on your cloth shoes.
- Repeat this process several times until the stains vanish entirely.
- Wash your shoes with clean water and then let them dry.
2. Baking soda
Not only is it used in cooking, but baking soda is also applied to a lot of tips in everyday life, especially cleaning cloth shoes effectively. You can use baking soda to make your shoes free from stains or dust as follows.
Method 1: Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
- Mix one tablespoons of baking soda, a half of tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with four tablespoons of warm water.
- Dip a toothbrush or tissue paper into the mixture and rub on your shoes.
- Leave them in a cool place and wait for about 30 minutes to one hour.
- Once the solution is dry, wash them with water and make them dry.
Method 2: Baking soda and vinegar
- Mix baking soda and vinegar in the ratio of 2:3
- Dip a toothbrush into the mixture and rub on your cloth shoes for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash your shoes under the tap to remove the mixture and dry them in the sun.
3. Whitening toothpaste
Besides the function of dental hygiene, toothpaste also has many other uses in daily life. In particular, it is one of the useful ways on how to clean cloth shoes. To get rid of stains on your shoes, follow the steps below:
- Apply whitening toothpaste to the stains on your shoes.
- Wait for about 10 minutes and then use a toothbrush scrub repeatedly.
- Take a moist towel to remove the toothpaste from the shoes.
- Do this a couple of times until your shoes become clean as new ones.
- Let them dry in direct sunshine forat least 3 hours.
Bleach is also a good material to help you easily get stains out of your shoes. Apply the way of washing cloth shoes in the following:
- In a basin, mix bleach and water in the ratio of 1:5.
- Soak your shoes in this solution for 15-30 minutes.
- Then, take them out and brush them gently until the stains disappear.
- Rinse them with clean water and let them dry in the sun.
5. Washing powder
Washing powder is a common material used in most of the families. Apart from using it to wash clothes, you can use it as a way on how to clean cloth shoes.
- Add an adequate washing powder to a basin of warm water and stir well.
- Soak your shoes in the water for about 5 minutes.
- Take it out and use a toothbrush to scrub gently all over the shoes.
- Wash them many times under the tap and dry them after that.
The above are the ways on how to clean cloth shoes you can apply at home with 5 easy-to-find materials. After washing your shoes, you should put them in the shoe case or moisture proof plastic bags to avoid the penetration of fungi or mold. Just doing it right and regularly, you will always have a pair of cloth shoes as new ones in the stores and use them for a long time.